Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Body Lift

Old 02-01-2007, 10:09 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default Body Lift

I am considering putting a 3inch body lift on my truck and was wonderinghow hard it was to install on a 2005 1500 z-71. I have called around and some places near my house are wanting about $375 to $400 for the kit and about $400 to install the kit. I have heard they arent that hard to install if you can read directions and work with tools. Just wanted to get your guys advise. Also is a 3inch body lift even worth the money. Thanks again for all the help from past posts. Matt

Old 02-01-2007, 11:04 PM
Default RE: Body Lift

body lifts are pretty much useless. The only thing they are for is for looks, not really any practicall purposes. Dont really know how much they are or how to install, but i would go with a suspension lift instead of wasting $800 on the body one. Good luck

Old 02-01-2007, 11:37 PM

I had a 3" body lift on my 93' which let me clear 35" tires. The lift was inexpensive and worked for me at the time, but looked funny since the whole frame was showing. I would go the suspension route if you can afford it, if not the body lift is not a bad idea, but like I said it looks a little funny. It is very easy to install, just remember to loosen brake lines, steering shaft, and clutch cables (if manual) before lifting or you could break them. All you need is hand tools and a floor jack.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:28 AM

Hunt4game29, do you already have a suspension lift? I have to agree with chevy 1224 on this one. The only logical reason to purchase a body lift is to provide additional clearance for a larger tire. Other than that, it serves no logical purpose whatsoever. In my opinion, if you don't have one already, go with a suspension lift. I'm sure you are aware of the benefits of supsension lifts, therfore I won't insult your intelligence.Yes, suspension lifts aremore expensive, but the difference between the two are night and day. In myopinion, save your money and purchase a good quality suspension lift, you'll be thankful you did.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:21 AM
TruckForum Addict

No i dont have a suspension lift. I was really just wanting a few inches. Dont want to pick my wife up everytime she gets in to my truck. So what about the torsion key replacement will this put any extra wear and tear on the front end.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:35 PM

It stiffins up the shocks for a bumpier ride, and if you hit HUGE bumps and tire ruts and dropoffs regularly or even hard once, you could break the shocks/struts and other suspension parts. haha there are four adds above this box advertising suspension lifts.... if yall wanted to know i just noticed that... any way, yes if you intend to off road alot i wouldnt go for tightening those up either. I like the way 3' lifts look, and they ride alright also.And they dont make that much difference to try and get in your truck.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:23 PM

How big of a tire are you trying to fit? As you know I got 285/70/17 on mine with no lift at all.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:36 PM
TruckForum Addict

Smoke20 not sure what size tires i really just want the front end up a little because on the 2005 at least mine compared to the 2004 has an extra air dam lower in the front and it hits everytime i go to my hunting lease.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:23 PM

you could probably remove the air dam, but the leveling keys are not supposed to hurt you ride at all, what they say makes it ride rough is if you crank the original torsion keys as it limits the amount of travel. The new leveling keys are supposed to give you just as much movement and not affect ride while bringing the front up 2-3 inches.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:26 AM

What you are talking about is a leveling kit... Different than tightening up the front shocks to lift the front end...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Body Lift