Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Looking for a write up on 4l60e swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 11:45 PM
Default Looking for a write up on 4l60e swap

I tried searching and found some relevant threads but not EXACTLY what I'm looking for.

Does anyone have any resources (preferably with pictures) of a standard transmission swap/replace in a 1500 silverado 4x4.

I think I have found a good donor 4l60e for my truck and just need some sort of guideline for when I start wrenchin'

thanks

Old 07-24-2009, 05:00 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

its real easy......have you ever removed and replaced a tranny? the idea is the same on all automatic trannys. pm me your email and I will write one up for you.......check your pm's also

Old 07-25-2009, 01:59 PM

same her i could help u out as well i work in a tranny shop in new hampshire and i do trannys in chevys probley about 12 to 15 a month, you have any questions just hit me up, my email is supermanfanzb@gmail.com pCe

Old 08-06-2009, 09:11 AM

I'm bumping my thread because the truck is getting a trans swap as I type this. For $750 I'm getting the old trans taken out, fresher one put in, and fluid.

I talked with a mechanic today who said that once you swap the trans you need to take it to a dealer IMMEDIATELY to get the ecu/pcm/whatever reset to accept the new transmission or else you could easily tear it up. This seems kinda extreme to me, but he has a lot more experience than I do.

Is this true?

Old 08-06-2009, 07:40 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Well goin from a standard to an automatic, you will need a PCM made for an automatic. You can have it flashed at the dealer but not sure how much it cost. It could run up to 600 bucks. The truck you are parting out, does it have the same engine set up and what year?

Old 08-07-2009, 09:00 PM

Sorry for the lack of details.

The truck is a 4wd z71 5.3 automatic silverado, with the 4l60e. I'm getting the EXACT same transmission swapped into it, as the old one took a crap on me. There is no mechanical difference between the old and "new" transmission except one works (hopefully )

A mechanic I talked to, said after the OEM swap was done, I'd have to take the truck to a dealership immediately and get the computer reset to accept the new trans.

This seems ridiculous to me as the transmission getting swapped in is exactly the same.

Is it true, that you need some sort of pcm reset before driving on an OEM swapped trans in a silverado?

Old 08-08-2009, 12:23 AM

if you are putting in another 4l60e then NO you dont need a pcm reset

Old 08-10-2009, 10:27 AM
TruckForum Addict

Unless the new tranny has something in it that you are not aware of.... but still if it is just and exact swap you should be fine.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:15 PM

Thanks, that's what logic was telling me but this guy has more experience than me.

Oh well.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by catfssh
Thanks, that's what logic was telling me but this guy has more experience than me.

Oh well.
Not to be mean but........I would question his experience if he told you that!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Looking for a write up on 4l60e swap