Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

1996 z71 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011 | 09:26 PM
|
Default 1996 z71 4x4

Hello all! I recently bought a 96 silverado z71 4x4.. To me my dream truck.. She has a few dents and faded paint. But not a spot of rust on the body. I want to restore her. She runs and drives ok so I don't need to do it overnight and she is my spare vehicle. I would like to start with the tranny and engine.. can yall point me in the right direction for rebuild manuals and how to's? Wanting to learn so open to all suggestions.

Thanks all

Old 05-23-2011 | 09:39 PM
TruckForum Addict

this is my opinion in yoru rebuild
if the engine runs and drives good i wouldnt mess with it
although i would completely tear it down put all new seals rings sending units sensors gaskets and rod bearings main bolts timing chain
and put it back together then put all new fluid in it
if you got the money thats what i would do
if you on a limited budget just do the body work and let the engine and tranny be
also i would recomend getting the truck hooked up to obd2 to see if there are any codes that will show up as some one may have or may not have deleted them and didnt fix the problem just because your service engine light dont come on dont mean there isnt anything wrong
if its yoru backup driver i would start with the engine if its not goin to be driven if it is gonna be driven alot i would start with body work first
also i would go thry and replace the fuel filter pump and sending unit
also would drop the tank and clean the thing out really good
and also have the trans looked at
go thru the brakes and visually inspect them make sure there ok if not replace them too
just cause they havent hit the squeker in there to let you no you pads are worn dont mean there aint nothing wrong
i have seen alot in the military where the truck braked great but the pads were severly cracked which in our serving of the vehical ment to replace them