Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

air intake vs chip

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 12:06 AM
Default air intake vs chip

So I am just learning bout all this performance stuff and I keep getting mixed answers. I have an 08 silverado 1500... should i just get an air intake system? or get a chip or both? one person told me I should just do air intake, take it to a dyno shop and have them tune it all up? IDKKKK help? please

Old 01-11-2011, 02:46 PM

The Air Intake is not going to do much. The programmer will allow you to make tuning adjustments (seek the help of someone that understands what they are doing), which you would do after installing a CAI anyway, based on the advice you've been given. You aren't really cramming more air into the combustion chambers anyway. To do that , you have two external options...Turbocharging or Supercharging (both alot more dinero than you may want or be able to spend). Do the programmer but, don''t expect the world.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:58 AM

Thank you for responding is there any other way to get more guts than doing either of those?

Old 01-12-2011, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by TruckGirl14
Thank you for responding is there any other way to get more guts than doing either of those?
No that's about the only way to get any more out of it. Go with a CAI, a cat-back exhaust if you want or not. Get a custom tune, don't waste your money on a hand held programmer. Go with a reputable tuner and they will give you the most for "your" driving style. If you would like a recommendation of some tuners send me a pm as I am not sure if any of them are site sponsors or not.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:18 PM
TruckForum Addict

Start with an exhaust, then a CAI, then a tune. I did the CAI 1st and it did not impress me. So I took it off. I then did an exhaust and it did alright. My catback system was the Summit System... don't waste your money and time. It was just like the stock system. Then I changed to a Flowmaster clone and it did a whole hell of alot better. After running the exhaust for a while I re-installed the CAI and man did it run different. Now as far as the programmers I have had the Hypertech not the newest 1, but the one that only covers 04 to 05 for my truck and it only gained 5 horses according to my friends G-teck. And I then bought a Superchips Flashpac programmer and was highly impressed, but I have not G-teked it. Between the 3 add ons I am pretty happy. Now I am ready to sale my Superchips and have someone program my PCM. "I am willing to sale my Programmer if you are interested." It is able to be updated online and does everything all the other handhelds do. It covers the years from 96 to 09 or 10. Hope my info helped.

Last edited by timber74wolf; 01-14-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by timber74wolf
Start with an exhaust, then a CAI, then a tune. I did the CAI 1st and it did not impress me. So I took it off. I then did an exhaust and it did alright. My catback system was the Summit System... don't waste your money and time. It was just like the stock system. Then I changed to a Flowmaster clone and it did a whole hell of alot better. After running the exhaust for a while I re-installed the CAI and man did it run different. Now as far as the programmers I have had the Hypertech not the newest 1, but the one that only covers 04 to 05 for my truck and it only gained 5 horses according to my friends G-teck. And I then bought a Superchips Flashpac programmer and was highly impressed, but I have not G-teked it. Between the 3 add ons I am pretty happy. Now I am ready to sale my Superchips and have someone program my PCM. "I am willing to sale my Programmer if you are interested." It is able to be updated online and does everything all the other handhelds do. It covers the years from 96 to 09 or 10. Hope my info helped.
Did the Flowmaster Clone change the sound of your truck? I'm looking at some cat-back but don't really want much sound b/c I have the V6 and would seem kinda dumb.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:16 AM

TruckGirl...Check you messages

Old 01-15-2011, 01:43 PM

hey guys,
i have flopro exhaust... i got it a year ago after i got my pickup. nobody really helps me out telling me what kind i should get and then after the fact they always say "well why didnt you go with...." sooo I really appreciate all your input! and sorry i don't respond too quickly