Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Auto Climate control * Update *

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007 | 04:25 PM
Default Auto Climate control * Update *

All you who were keeping up with my climate control troubles, here's an update.

First the symptoms for those who missed the earlier thread......I had only hot air, or cold air. No inbetween. At 90 degrees it was hot, and at 89 it was cold. The drivers side and passenger did still operate seperate, but still only hot or cold. I tried to 'reset' the computer to no avail, and asked many questions here......

Result.......

Today I took it to the dealer, got her pluged into the GM Scanner. Shortly after they tell me the only code they received is for the temperature sensor in the headliner. ( the little round thing above your heads for those of you with auto climate ). $50 for the part, and 1.5 hrs in labor. So, for $180 I'm back in business.

Something note-worthy..... If you have this same Auto Dual Climate control system, ( the one with the digital display ) you cannot go out and buy any one of these per say, like at a junk yard out of a Caddy Escalade. They have to be selected by the VIN number. Then, even if you buy the correct one yourself, then install it yourself, you still need to take it to the dealer as it needs to be programmed. They really have you by the ***** with this piece.

Old 12-19-2007 | 04:38 PM
Default RE: Auto Climate control * Update *

way to go!
wish i were more help,but as i said..between thast aspirator you rep[laced,the head,and other sensors...its just a tossup...i see no set pattern on any 1 thing..

my advice?..buy manual a/c

Old 12-19-2007 | 05:00 PM

I like the auto, but more trouble than it's worth I think.

Old 12-19-2007 | 07:53 PM

that manual is nice and all unless them cables dont work properly. one of the cables on mine doesnt push the blend door all the way so you have to reach up and tap it to get it to work. a little annoying but oh well.

Old 12-20-2007 | 06:12 AM

no cables in some time now...its all actuators

Old 12-20-2007 | 12:37 PM

they started those electric actuators in what 91 or so right argon?

Old 12-20-2007 | 02:10 PM

88..the new body style...my 88 has em...SOME 88's did have cables..those that were made with heat only...a/c added on

Old 12-20-2007 | 02:20 PM

my 89 with ac is still cable and lever driven vents unfortunately, and the cable to go from head to defrost sticks so i have to give the door a nudge at the vent to get defrost to work.

Old 12-20-2007 | 05:04 PM

THATS ODD..IS IT FACTORY A/C?..ITS 1/2 TON,RIGHT?

Old 12-20-2007 | 05:34 PM

yes its a 1/2 ton it appears to be factory. its the old cable and lever style but the only ac control appears to be when you switch it to cool on the vents and turn it to high on the blower motor. it says A/C on the highest blower setting i was a little confused in seeing this....

Quick Reply: Auto Climate control * Update *