Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

egr mod write up

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 09:45 PM
Default egr mod write up

(smoke) here is the write up that i was talking about. I stole this from full size chevy.com

On the NBS trucks (I know this is atleast true for the 5.3), right behind the throttle body on the passenger's side of the intake there is a tube from the EGR that sticks into the side of the intake. In fact, it sticks TOO FAR into the intake...
Take out the bolt from above the tube.
Unbolt the apparatus at the other end of this tube from the front of the passenger's side cylinder head (2, 15mm bolts).
Unplug the wiring harness from the top.
Remove the two bolts (10mm) that attach it to the exhaust manifold and save the gasket that's in between. This is most easily done from reaching over the top of the tire, working through the fender well (atleast this is the case with a 3" body lift with no lift lips... ).
Now, you can remove the whole do-hickey.
Back to the tube that sticks into the intake...cut off the end, just past where it tapers down, this sounds vague, but it's pretty obvious when you look at it.
Now re-install the whole thing.

OK, next step. There is a small hose (slightly bigger than windshield washer tubing) that runs from the radiator to the bottom of the throttle body. Remove it from the throttle body end.
On the opposite side of the throttle body, there is another short piece of tubing that goes from a nipple on the intake (I think..can't remember) to the throttle body. Completely remove this piece of tubing and discard it.
Run the longer piece of tubing straight from the radiator to the nipple on the intake.
I believe that GM originally intended this to initially warm the throttle body for cold starts, but unfortunately, it continues warming the throttle body when the engine is hot, along with all fo the air that passes through it! However, since doing this, i've had no probs with cold starts even when it's well below freezing.

All of this can be done in less than an hour and I would bet it would free up somewhere between 5-10 HP...but, it's 5-10 FREE HP!

Bango!....Free horsepower.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:36 PM
Default RE: egr mod write up

I will definately take a look at this as soon as I have a chance, thanks man.

Old 07-21-2007, 01:14 PM

good luck

Old 07-24-2007, 06:18 AM

I had to take that off to remove my engine, im gonna give her a try when reinstalling