Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Ground Connector Locations

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2024 | 11:12 PM
|
Beginner
Default Ground Connector Locations

Is there a list anywhere that shows where all the important ground connectors are located at for all the different models of Chevy / GMC pickups?

So far on my truck I have found 3 ground connections... one coming from the negative battery cable to the passenger side cylinder head, another coming from the body to the driver's side cylinder head, and another under the driver's side floor board coming out of a wiring harness and connects to the frame.

I heard the ECM has it's own ground wire too towards the front of the truck but so far on mine I have not spent time looking for that one yet. (My truck is a 2011 Silverado 5.3L Ext Cab, 2WD)

Just curious is anybody know of a handy list that tells people where to find the ground connectors so they can be cleaned and maintained since ground connections are very important.

Old 10-12-2024 | 01:09 AM
Beginner

G103 is your ground for your ecm. on front of right side cly head. (passenger side)

Old 10-12-2024 | 09:10 AM
|
Beginner

I'd think that is one of the grounds for the entire vehicle since that ground goes from the passenger side cylinder head to the negative ground going on to the battery

I found a schematic online and it shows 2 different ground connections on both sides of the lower radiator support one of which is directly below where the ECM is mounted on the driver's side. I've not gotten in there to find and clean these yet but I'm thinking that may be the actual ECM ground

I found another ground under the driver's side seat where a ground comes out of a harness and bolts to the frame underneath and I heard that was the direct ground for the BCM

Old 10-12-2024 | 06:42 PM
Beginner

what ground are you looking for i have a ground distribution diagram but cant send you the link as its password protected.

Old Yesterday | 12:59 PM
|
Beginner

Originally Posted by jlivy
what ground are you looking for i have a ground distribution diagram but cant send you the link as its password protected.
All the important ones! I already have a wiring diagram now so I can see all kinds of ground wires I can work on.

Cleaning up ground wires as a preventative measure since ground connections are very important and can corrode after a vehicles ages.