Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

hood scoop

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 07:00 AM
Default hood scoop

Do stick-on hood scoops on a Silverado make it look too tacky or cheesey? What do you know about real hoods with scoops? Are they worth it for the look? What about steel vs fiberglass?

Old 05-27-2008, 07:39 AM
TruckForum Addict
Default RE: hood scoop

Stick on hood scoops look like absolute crap in my opinion. You can always tell they are fake. A good cowl induction hood is the way to go. With a cowl induction the hot air in the engine bay has somewhere to go vs. just blowing around in the engine bay. The difference between steel and fiberglass is although a steel hood will be much cheaper, it's gonna be as heavy or heavier than the factory hood. A fiberglass hood will be much lighter and thus saves you some weight. Less weight makes the truck quicker but at the same time, I don't know about your hood but mine is not really that heavy so there aren't enough weight savings in a fiberglass version to justify the cost difference unless the aftermarket steel hood actually weighs a lot more than the OEM hood. Good luck with it.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:02 AM

I agree 100% with charger!

Old 05-27-2008, 02:31 PM

yesah.. cowl hoods are friggen sweet and those stick ones are **** they look soOOOOOO CHEESY!

a good cowl hood should cost you no more than $800 with a good paint job too!

good luck!

Old 05-27-2008, 06:10 PM

I agree with all the staments above. Stay away from the stick on scoops and get you self a nice new hood. I am a fan of both ram air and cowls depending on the body style of the truck. I found a ram air/cowl hood for my truck that i really want to buy. It looks sweet.

As for fiber glass v. metal I'll take the price cut over the ligher hood anyday. The weight isnt a factor to me at all. and i think the steel would be a lot tougher then fiber glass it would be pretty easy to crack espically were the hood comes up.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:47 PM

WOW, I never thought my truck LQQKed cheesy, with my stick on Hood Scoops. I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I agree the real thing does LQQK nice but, $800.00 VS $100.00 painted is a NO brainer for me.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:35 PM
TruckForum Addict

Heh Heh oops.... It's all good man, your truck still looks good. To each is own and all that..... This isn't working is it. Oh well, maybe this'll convince you to go ahead and buy the real deal, LOL!

I wish I could afford a nice cowl hood but I can't even afford the stick ons at this point.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:51 PM

what do you think would look good for my truck Cowl Hood or Ram air Hood? I am getting one when I get the roll bar this weekend

Old 05-28-2008, 08:30 AM

I think acowl would look kick-*** on your truck!

Old 05-28-2008, 10:00 AM

Cowl hoods are the only one that really have a function on cars and trucks. They had Carol Shelby on Speedvision testing different hoods on the dragstrip and the cowl hood allowed the air to pass over the car without much turbulence. It also caused a vacuum in from of the windsheild which pulled hot air away from the engine bay. This cause air to be drawn into the engine bay from underneith the car. It cooled the engine bay, helped the car stick to the track (with the airflow from under the car, through the car, then over the car), and did not disturb th areodynamics of the car (compared to the others). Only benefit to ram air and snorkles was their ability to ram air into the intake/carb, but the gain was canceled out by the way they disrupted areodynamics.

Whew ok, thats it in a nutshell anyways.

Quick Reply: hood scoop