Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Locking Differential? MUST SEE VIDEOS (2)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 09:54 PM
Default Locking Differential? MUST SEE VIDEOS (2)

When I purchased my 07 Classic, I got an extended cab, 4.8L automatic transmission with a tow package. It came with a heavy duty locking differential which was an extra $325. I didn"t really want this option but the salesman said that all Silverados equipped with a towing package had this option
installed by the factory. I only tow a small 10 foot cargo trailer back and forth to my cabin. I can understand the external transmission cooler and heavy duty air filter and shocks installed with the tow package, but why the locking differential? Is this an option that I want? Will it hurt my gas mileager? I am new to trucks - this is the first one I ever owned. Thanks Guys!

Old 05-13-2007, 12:36 AM
TruckForum Addict
Default RE: What Good iIs A Locking Differential?

What you have is the limited slip. It's a good thing you have the LSD. Imagine if there was a bad rain one day and the area your trailor was in was pretty muddy. You'd sink. It won't effect your mileage in any noticeable way. It's also better in the rain. I wouldn't swap mine for the world.

Old 05-13-2007, 03:09 AM

ok, so what kind of locker do you think is the best? I am thinking about an air locker, but I want to hear everybodys opinion first..

Old 05-13-2007, 07:18 AM

I think this is a great option, especially in a 2wd! Have a look at this video, it's awesome!

Old 05-13-2007, 08:11 AM

ok so where do i get the G80, how much do you think it would cost from the dealer? how much at a shop? is it something i can do myself.. I am not too familiar with working on rear ends.. I know there can be some tight tolerances back there...

Old 05-13-2007, 01:17 PM

Great information on the G80 locking differential. The video shows that a 2wd Silverado with G80 was able to get thru the same area that a 4wd could not navigate. I found a great link at Motor Trend Magazine that did comparisons of the G80 4wd. They concluded that it was nearly as effictive as 4wd at a fracton of the cost. One author stated that if people new what the G80 was capable of, their would be a lot less 4wds sold. I thought it was pretty much a sales gimic. I am glad that I got the G80 option on my 2wd Silverado..
Watch the video highlighted above and read the Motor Trend article at: http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/autoworld2613.shtml

Old 05-13-2007, 01:54 PM

What you have is the limited slip. It's a good thing you have the LSD. Imagine if there was a bad rain one day and the area your trailor was in was pretty muddy. You'd sink. It won't effect your mileage in any noticeable way. It's also better in the rain. I wouldn't swap mine for the world.

Not according to the video and the Motor Trend article. The Silverado G80 is a full locking mechenical differental that is much more effective then a limited slip differential. They say that Silverado and GMC are the only pickups in the world to offer this option.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:19 PM
TruckForum Addict

Sound nice to me. I would just have to see one in action. Its hard to believe that it can do as good as a 4x4.

Old 05-13-2007, 05:38 PM

Check out this video of a 20% grade with one side slipping. The 4wd with a limited slip differential couldn't make it but the 2wd Silverado with the G80 had not trouble. Amazing!:

Old 05-13-2007, 07:43 PM
TruckForum Addict

ORIGINAL: lwcrow

Not according to the video and the Motor Trend article. The Silverado G80 is a full locking mechenical differental that is much more effective then a limited slip differential. They say that Silverado and GMC are the only pickups in the world to offer this option.
Sorry... Didn't know you were talking about the G80...

Quick Reply: Locking Differential? MUST SEE VIDEOS (2)