Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Beginner
Default tranny problems

I have a 00 silverado 5.3 with headers k&n intake super chip. But my transmissions is going out. I would want to get a higher end tranny what do u guys recommend??

Old 01-06-2012, 01:19 PM
TMW

A 700R4 is an excellent automatic with OD. Not sure how the electrics would match up.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:32 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

You could get the 4L60E built strong but gotta have someone do it who knows what they are doing. Other option is go with the 4L80E. Its bigger, stronger, can handle more torque. It just requires a little fabrication on the rear tranny mounting cross member. My cammed 5.3 has a Stage II built tranny and been running strong goin on 3 years.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:32 AM
Beginner

I been thinking about camming my truck to. What exactly do u need to do that. Other than the cams

Old 01-07-2012, 05:22 PM

Cam, lifters, rods, antifreeze, time, tools, lube and elbow grease.

I little knowledge and common sense doesn't hurt, either.

Any clue as to what cam you're looking.

...btw, some cams, will require a rocker adjustment or replacement of rods and rockers. depends on how hairy you want to go.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:33 AM

These motors are real easy! You dont have to change out the lifters. Get a cam kit with stronger push rods and springs. To change the cam out in my 2001 it takes about 2 hours. Changing out the valve springs takes a little time. You will also need headers, long tubes, and a custom tune.

Here is an article for an all around type of cam... Silverado 100 Horsepower Performance gain on a budget

Old 01-12-2012, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by RUFFNECK4LYFE
These motors are real easy! You dont have to change out the lifters. Get a cam kit with stronger push rods and springs. To change the cam out in my 2001 it takes about 2 hours. Changing out the valve springs takes a little time. You will also need headers, long tubes, and a custom tune.

Here is an article for an all around type of cam... Silverado 100 Horsepower Performance gain on a budget
Unless price is an issue, I don't see the advantage of not installing new lifters when swapping in a new cam, rods and valve springs.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Razoo
Unless price is an issue, I don't see the advantage of not installing new lifters when swapping in a new cam, rods and valve springs.
You tell me what the advantage is besides having new lifters? These are roller lifters, meaning they wear very little and only need changing if they are bad. Most cam kits sold for these motors dont come with lifters. Ive had 3 different cams in my 5.3, coming up on 300k miles and no problems what so ever. And price is an issue when having someone else put in a cam kit with lifters, you gotta take the heads off to change them.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by RUFFNECK4LYFE
You tell me what the advantage is besides having new lifters?

These are roller lifters, meaning they wear very little and only need changing if they are bad. Most cam kits sold for these motors dont come with lifters. Ive had 3 different cams in my 5.3, coming up on 300k miles and no problems what so ever. And price is an issue when having someone else put in a cam kit with lifters, you gotta take the heads off to change them.

No need to get your panties in an up roar. I'm not here to argue with you, or say you're wrong about anything.

I've experience rollers seizing up before too. In my opinion, if you're getting that deep into the top end, do it right. I've built everything from supercharged 4 bangers to 3000 HP race engines in my day, and, if I've learned anything from my experience is never to cheap out, or take a short cut.
Ultimately the amount of work done is up to the owner. If I were the owner, I would replace the lifters, too. Quite obviously if you were the owner, you wouldn't. That's simply a matter of preference.

If different opinions are going to tick you off, I'm sorry. To be honest, it's not worth the argument to me. Perhaps it's better for me to keep my opinions to my self, rather that start a war about this, so I will.

Have a nice life.

Caantunez, I wish you the best with your project.

Last edited by Razoo; 01-14-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:01 AM

Come on guy, how can you tell from my response that I was in any way angry or getting mad? Its merely an invite to a friendly debate. I was not rude in any way, unlike your little sarcasm you responded with, which even that does not bother me. Im sure you have had your time with hands on in a lot of things, well, so have I. I put many hours in research and discussed many options before I did anything. Yeah your right about being that deep into doing something might as well do it all. But my point is these motors are very well built, and can handle alot of power stock. A cam change in these motors can be done without removing the intake or lifters. So if someone just wanted a step up cam like say you could take a 99-02 LS1- LS6 stock cam and put it in the 4.8, 5.3, or 6.0 and gain some good power. But a bigger cam split duration, high lift, some head work would be needed for more flow, bigger injectors, bigger intake, stronger push rods and valve springs, with LS7 lifters, bam you got more torque! I could go into more detail, but he did not ask for it, yet. I was suggesting a simple step up cam. So dont take what I say the wrong way, I merely responded to your statement. I am not in any way tryin to present myself as a know it all, I am always willing to learn more. So stick around and share the knowledge you have please, dont let a little debate shoo you off. God bless!!

Quick Reply: tranny problems