Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Beginner

So basically I'm thinking about going with comp 918 beehive springs, comp push rods, and of course comp cams. What do you guys think. And what else would I need to finish it without having to redo do this in a while. I just want it done right cuz I'm on a tite truck budget.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:36 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Depending on what kind of cam you want, a tune is a must.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:43 AM
Beginner

im not sure what u mean by what type of cam i get but the ones i been looking at our at that link chek em out if u can and let me know what u think. and tune wise how would i do that. im fairly new to these engines.
Comp Cams 54-500-11 Comp Cams XFI Roller Camshafts For GM LS-Series/Gen III Engines

Old 01-17-2012, 09:33 PM

Thats a lil big, u would definately need a higher stall torque converter with that. What I meant was if you wanted something for more power up top, more low end, something for nitrous, or boost? Things like that. I can suggest an all around cam that has been proven to give some dam good power.
Texas Speed 224/224 XE Camshaft
I have the 220 it states, and it runs real good.
Should sound like this...
And the tuning can be done by Nelson Tuning. You call them, tell them what all you have done to your truck in detail, the cam specs, and they will send you a new computer tuned for your truck. Its about 3-4 bills for this.

Last edited by RUFFNECK4LYFE; 01-17-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:52 PM
Beginner

with these cams do i have to have headers on it all the time? meaning do i have to have the headers to keep up with the power and will pass smog cuz i live in cali.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:06 AM

Ah didnt know that. The tune will be set up for all of it so if you change any of it, it will throw it off, probably run rich.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:05 PM
Beginner

I will probably just get some legal headers. Thanks I'm going to order those set of cams this week.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:38 PM

Good deal!

Old 01-21-2012, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by RUFFNECK4LYFE
Come on guy, how can you tell from my response that I was in any way angry or getting mad? Its merely an invite to a friendly debate. I was not rude in any way, unlike your little sarcasm you responded with, which even that does not bother me. Im sure you have had your time with hands on in a lot of things, well, so have I. I put many hours in research and discussed many options before I did anything. Yeah your right about being that deep into doing something might as well do it all. But my point is these motors are very well built, and can handle alot of power stock. A cam change in these motors can be done without removing the intake or lifters. So if someone just wanted a step up cam like say you could take a 99-02 LS1- LS6 stock cam and put it in the 4.8, 5.3, or 6.0 and gain some good power. But a bigger cam split duration, high lift, some head work would be needed for more flow, bigger injectors, bigger intake, stronger push rods and valve springs, with LS7 lifters, bam you got more torque! I could go into more detail, but he did not ask for it, yet. I was suggesting a simple step up cam. So dont take what I say the wrong way, I merely responded to your statement. I am not in any way tryin to present myself as a know it all, I am always willing to learn more. So stick around and share the knowledge you have please, dont let a little debate shoo you off. God bless!!
There's nothing to argue or debate. You made your point, I made mine. Simply put, I would include new lifters in my build, based on my experience over the last 48 years of automotive experience.

The fact that you would not doesn't make you wrong or right, just of a different opinion, and there's nothing wrong with that.
The only debate to be had in that case is to attempt to change one-another's opinion. You can't change my opinion on this matter, and I can't change yours, and I have no desire to attempt to change yours. It's that simple.

You've obviously had success with the way you do things, and that's good. I've also been successful with the way I do things, and I hope you can appreciate that.

I wish you well.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Razoo
There's nothing to argue or debate. You made your point, I made mine. Simply put, I would include new lifters in my build, based on my experience over the last 48 years of automotive experience.

The fact that you would not doesn't make you wrong or right, just of a different opinion, and there's nothing wrong with that.
The only debate to be had in that case is to attempt to change one-another's opinion. You can't change my opinion on this matter, and I can't change yours, and I have no desire to attempt to change yours. It's that simple.

You've obviously had success with the way you do things, and that's good. I've also been successful with the way I do things, and I hope you can appreciate that.

I wish you well.
Ok if its just a matter of opinion only, you made the mistake by knocking on mine with your sarcasm. Then I ask back, you run off scared. So yeah lets just keep that way. I can appreciate the fact you have done what works for you, but not guilt and sarcasm rather than facts and options.

Quick Reply: tranny problems