Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Upgrade Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Default Upgrade Suggestions

Hey Guys. Just want to say first off that I love this forum. I have been coming back here time and time again for all the info I can get and there is always people out there like argon, smoke20 72 charger.. and a lot of others that need to be mentioned, that can provide the most amazing priceless information! THANK YOU!

As for my post.
I recently bought a 2004 Chevy Z71 5.3L
I have a K&N Intake Cold air intake kit on it
and some esthetic mods.. but i want power!!!!

But at the moment I’m kind of caught about what to do for more upgrades.

I’m thinking about going with the flow master exhaust system
Suggestions:

Throttle body spacer?
Suggestions:

Gearing???? Is it pricey???
Suggestions:

Cowl induction hood, manufactures, pricing, models, price ranges????
Suggestions:

Any and all information would be helpful. I have been looking through the forum for a while gathering as much information as I can but I don’t seem to have the answers I’m looking for in regards to the type of vehicle that I would like to create.

Basically I want a powerful but stylish truck. Something that has a lot under the hood but isn’t aggressive about it. The exhaust and intake kit will do a lot for me…. But I’m looking for more after that. I would like to put somewhere around 350+ Hp after all is said and done…. Or am I being unrealistic????

Thanks guys. Be creative let me know what you think!
Ill enjoy every word you have to put out there!

Old 02-04-2008, 05:46 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default RE: Upgrade Suggestions

I recommend a Trans Dapt-torque curve throttle body spacer. I have it and was very impressed with the gains I got out of a mod that only cost me $62 to my doorstep.

As far as gears go, this is a very good way to go faster but in your case you've got a 4x4 which means you'll be paying twice the price. I can't remember how much everyone's been saying it averages to change out gears but figure between $2,000-$3,000 to do both of your axles. If your looking at jacking it up and putting huge tires or rims on it, you'll definately be wanting to do this despite the cost.

After intake and exhaust mods are done, most people go with the ECU programming as the next big mod. You can either get a hand held programmer or you can have your ECU custom tuned by someone like Charlie Wheatley at www.gowheatley.com or Nelson Tuning(think that's right). If I keep my truck I have opted for a Diablo Predator hand held programmer. This is the best programmer for our trucks on the market for now or atleast that seems to be the general consensus. Your gains won't be as good as that of a custom tune, but it gives you the option of changing what octane rating you'd like to run, where as with a custom tune, you must run one specified octane rating. It also gives you the ability to remove the program should you need to take it to be worked on somewhere.

As for 350horses, it's possible but not with bolt-ons. Your either looking at doing a camshaft swap or going with forced induction(supercharger or turbocharger). Ofcourse nitros is an option but not recommended.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:12 PM

If you want power you'll be spending money replacing transmission parts (or the whole thing) not too long after you achieve "power". So I would recommend buying a built transmission or having a reputable shop build you one and selling your stock one while it's still in operating condition. It's expensive, but do it right now, or do it later when it breaks. And it will break.

If you choose to skip that and stick with the stock transmission and take your chances and go straight to engine performance, my recommendation would be first and foremost a tune (not sure where you're located or I'd recommend a tuner - and not to cause waves but I would steer clear of hand-helds), a cam (about a 216 or 220 intake/exhaust duration), a torque converter would be a must (a Yank 2600 or 3000), headers (Pacesetter long tubes and off road Y pipe), and finish off the exhaust with an aftermarket muffler of your choice.

Do that and you'll be mid-14's in the ¼ mile.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:52 AM

Get a Predator, they are fun and a good bang for the buck.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:17 AM
TruckForum Addict

I would do like damnyankee said. Get a cam and and torque converter and long tube headers. Also if you live by a custom tuning place then go with them if not get a mail in custom tune that lets you do free upgrades. Because we all know no one is ever done with changing the truck. Also if you have the money to do a transmission i would see about upgrading that also.
You dont want to get all that power and then brake your transmission and not be able to drive your truck.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:24 AM
TruckForum Addict

Here is a transmission website that i ran across on another site the other day. They run about $1550 to $2500 for a race built transmission. Not sure if the prices are good or not.

http://finishlinetrans.com/store/index.php?cPath=1_22

Old 02-05-2008, 09:17 AM

FLT is one of the best there is and they stand behind their stuff like you wouldn't believe. Their prices are moer than reasonable. I have their Level 5 in my truck and it's flawless.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:24 AM
TruckForum Addict

I thought you might chime in about them i was thinking you had one. So what is the biggest different between the level 3 to level 5. And for the price i know people that pay $2400 just to get the stock one rebuilt. So i thought they seemed like a desent place.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:39 AM

Man you guys are amazing!!!!
Thanks for all the input.
The transmission prices are amazing!!!! Im up here in Canada and my buddy just paid 4000 bucks to have a stock one brought in PLUS INSTALLATION. im sure that with the exchange and installation i could have it done for around the same price and have a racing one!! Nice choice!!

gearing is still a long ways away... im not planning on putting huge tires on my truck and making a mudder out of it... but the firmer shifting stronger pull is something that interests me... so ill keep it in the back of my head.

Headers!!! I love headers! Do you guys have any suggestions or manufactures that make headers for my truck??? I have heard many many warnings tho when buying for this truck as they are prone to rusting out and/or melting!?!?! Is this true.... or have I been fed with a bunch of BS???? And are there any companies out there that have dyno charts for there headers. What kind of gains can I expect from them?? I know the pull will be A HUGE difference but…. What are the main advantages??

The throttle body will prob be the next upgrade, then the tuner. The handheld is prb the one that im leaning towards... but that’s a little ways away still!
72charger... the TBS that you specified... Does it whistle? I have been doing a little reading about the different types and the bore that they have and some of them have a whistle sound to them! i was wondering if the one that you suggested has a whistle to it and what kind of gains can I expect from it????
Thanks

I really appreciate all your input guys. your inextensible knowledge is overwhelming!

Old 02-05-2008, 11:31 AM

The Level 5 just has a few additional parts and some stouter innards.

I would go with the Pacesetter Quik Trip long tube headers with the ceramic coating and off road Y pipe. The advantages are mainly going to be seen mid- to top-end. They let your engine breathe and you'll notice a great improvement in performance. Gas mileage will improve, but only if you keep your foot out of it, which you likely won't when you feel the freed up power.

A tune should be one of your first mods because everything else will benefit from the tune. Use a reputable tuner that will give you free upgrades and you'll be good to go. If you're going to do performance mods, it gets addicting, and you're going to keep wanting to add new goodies. When that happens you don't want to try to tune with a hand held.

Quick Reply: Upgrade Suggestions