Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Vortec heads

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 03:04 AM
Question Vortec heads

OK guys I have a 93 F/S GMC with a 5.7 and I want to put Vortec heads on it so help me out on what I need to do? I want to use a stock vortec intake with a adapter plate so that I can use my TBI but what do I do about my EGR valve? I need it because when my truck had a bad EGR I had high NOX and I couldn't even pass the emission test here now I know there is a intake that Summit has it's a direct bolt on but again I can't see a place for the EGR. Anybody that has done this can you please help me out with a list on what I need to do so it can run good and be legal for my inspection sticker. Im wanting to use Vortec heads because they flow better and will give me more HP oh I already have the heads I bought them for $100.00 dollars. Can I even use a stock Vortec intake?
Thanks! GMC

Old 08-26-2010, 07:25 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I did this on a 1995 5.7 and I purchased an intake from GM performance that was made specifically for this swap. It was about 9 years ago so it isn't fresh in my mind anymore, but I do remember that I initially used the wrong spark plugs and it did not run that good, but once I got the right ones it ran better. So do the research on the proper plugs. Good luck - let us know how it works out.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:41 PM
Thumbs up Vortec heads.

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock
I did this on a 1995 5.7 and I purchased an intake from GM performance that was made specifically for this swap. It was about 9 years ago so it isn't fresh in my mind anymore, but I do remember that I initially used the wrong spark plugs and it did not run that good, but once I got the right ones it ran better. So do the research on the proper plugs. Good luck - let us know how it works out.
Do you remember anything about the EGR also did it run better with the heads?
Thanks! GMC

Old 08-26-2010, 08:24 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

It wasn't what I thought it was going to be. I went from a 305 to a 350 with a crane computer friendly cam, vortec heads, custom chip, and it ran better than the 305 but I wasn't completely happy with the end result. By the time I bought the new motor and all the rest I spent about $3000 and to me it wasn't worth it. I don't remember on the EGR, but I think it was still used.