GM How-To's and Tutorials Have a project you're working on? Take pictures and write up a procedure...We'll post it here!

double checking

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2024 | 06:15 PM
|
Beginner
Default double checking

Hi,,,, stated in 1968 working for Chevrolet so it might be time to call a halt to all this... haven't changed front shocks on anything for quite a few years and need to do this on my 1995 Chevy C1500 W/T .... Tell me I have this right and/or tell me what I am missing if you would.... First, I prefer to jack up and remove the front wheel and protective liner so I can see what is going on... will put a jack stand under the frame so I can use the jack to support the assembly.... My fear.... removing the bottom two bolts.... I cleaned them up with a wire wheel on my drill and sprayed them down twice with PB Blaster which I have never used before but, well, you know... gotta try anything/everything..... So.... remove the bottom two bolts or at least loosen them..... and then go after the top nut on the top of the shock... If I remember right, I might have to use a vise grip on the shock rod to hold it while trying to remove the nut on top????? Has anybody ever broke the two bolts holding the bottom of the shock? What did you do? Can you drill them out and put in a normal hardened bolt/nut to hold the new shock in place? or is this is a rare event? Then... after the bolts/nut is removed, the shock should just fall out the bottom.... ???? Put the new shock in place with the proper washer/rubber gasket on the top rod... and start the bolts on the bottom, and then use the jack to lift the suspension arm up to get the shock in place through the top hole and secure all the bolts.... What did I miss? Should I replace the bottom two bolts with new ? Am I missing anything? Thanks for holding my hand.... just a little paranoid about this and I do have an estimate from a local ASE mechanic that will replace these shocks for $140.... maybe it would be my best decision? Have a good one... and thanks again....